Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Buying Culture, or a morning at Christie's...

I planned my outfit for weeks.

And COULD NOT believe that I woke up late on the day.
As I dashed in the brisk morning air to catch the BDVF from West 4th to Rockefeller Center, I had no idea what to expect on the other end. Although my life has been far from sheltered or mundane -- I know which fork to use, and have had morning coffee with Prince Charles -- yet, I have never attended a live auction before. So, still, debutante that I am, I was giddy, yet apprehensive. (Would it be like CLUE? Or these really odd country auctions you see on TV, where the auctioneers mumble loudly, rapid fire, sounding like evangelical preachers on speed, speaking in tongues?)

Then, I remembered, "Its Christies!" And realized all would be well. And indeed it was.
I whizzed past direction-less tourists looking for the "NBC Rainbow Room," and sprinted -- in heels -- through the revolving doors. The chaos of a bustling and brimming NYC morning gave way to the serenity of Christies. I was met by the very friendly staff who assured me I wasn't late. I sighed relief, caught my breath, and enjoyed every minute of sashaying up the Christie's grand staircase...

I sauntered into James Christie auction room, acting like I belonged there. Upon finding a seat in the back row, and glancing around the room, I realized I did in fact belong there. Of course there were the "usual suspects": well-dressed, well-heeled, older men... But on the whole, the small, but enthusiastic, crowd was a vivid array of collectors, book dealers, tourists, students and general bibliomaniacs. There were in fact far more women present than I had expected, both as buyers and as auction staff. I found this very encouraging. One does not have that impression generally.

As I took my seat next to a rather distinguished looking gentleman, I sudden realized that this was one of the most thrilling events I have ever witnessed! The energy is incredible! Part theatre, part temple: the atmosphere is like nothing I have ever experienced before. The symbolism is uncanny and quite powerful. The auctioneer (our friend, Francis Wahlgren) stood high above us at the rostrum, like a great master delivering a lecture or a sermon to his faithful followers. This iconography is not wasted, in many ways, Christie's is a temple, a great temple of Art and Culture. Where "culture" is bought, sold, and arguably preserved.

In contrast to his appearance and fraught state in the "First Folio auction" video that he shared with us, Francis was this morning completely at ease. He had an affable and amiable style that exuded charm and professionalism. He had a relaxed, jovial rapport with the buyers and his staff, and smiled and joked with them throughout the auction. Despite the quicksilver pace of the proceedings, it was remarkably lighthearted.

I was gleeful as "familiar friends" such as works by Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte appeared on the auction screen. These works were familiar to me not just as treasured reads from adolescence, but I was actually personally familiar with these particular texts being sold, as I had come to Christie's two days before this auction for the "pre-sale viewing." And yes, what they say is absolutely TRUE! You are free and able to touch, hold, sniff, look at whatever items you like that are up for auction. This concept had of course seemed "too good too be true" to me, so when I came for viewing on Saturday, (I channeled my inner "Parisa") (SMILE) and asked to see what I thought was the most "untouchable" item available. An edition of Izaak Walton's Compleat Angler (1667). [The Shakespeare that was up for auction was a 19th C. edition. Ended up selling for $8K.] And true to their word, when I asked to see the Walton, the case was opened and the treasured little volumes placed in my warm little hands...It was a breathtaking moment that I will never forget.

My breath was taken away by the Izaak Walton works once again, when this set appeared on the auction screen. The gentleman seated next me, suddenly became very agitated. As Francis started the bidding at $60,000.00, I noticed the man sitting next me nervously begin to wave the white bidding paddle in his hand. Francis acknowledged his bid, and the game was afoot. A another gentleman, several rows in front of us, twisted abruptly in his seat to see the face of his new adversary. The man seated next to me swallowed hard as the bidding began in earnest. Francis guided these two stealthful competitors smoothly through the complicated dance of desire and defeat: "one better, one better, one better..." is the steady, though unheard mantra.

As the bidding hit the 100K mark, the man near the front paused to breathe (as did we all). In that pause -- for the collector seated next to me -- was life and death. He had flown all the way from England to obtain this prize. Then, in a heartbeat, as Francis slammed down the hammer: Victory. He had won his treasure. Once he came back down to earth, he revealed that he was a private collector who collects books and manuscripts about fishing. He had expected the bidding to go much higher than it had, and he had been prepared to pay double the amount of his winning bid to secure the item. (He had expected to bid at at least $226K.) So, not only had he won. But it turned out to be "a bargain." Remarkable.

The energy is electric and positively dizzying. (Another exciting moment was the cat-fight that ensued over a 1st edition Wuthering Heights. Francis opened the bidding at $6,000.00; and after the dust settled, Catherine and Heathcliffe had been nabbed at $120K.) It was an incredible experience, and Francis has invited our class to attend the upcoming "Children's Literature" auction on Wednesday, 13 December 2006, and I certainly hope we can make this happen. Details below. Note also the "Viewing times" -- it really is worth doing. I feel very strongly about this given our many discussions over the course of this extraordinary semester about issues of class, culture and commerce. Ah, Shakespeare, where you have led us! :)

Until soon, cheers,
ASH

www.christies.com

Children's Literature
Including Original Illustrations
Sale 1740
13 December 2006, 10:00 am
20 Rockefeller Center, New York

Viewing
7 0December 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
8 0December 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
9 0December 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
10 December 01:00 pm - 5:00 pm
11 December 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
12 December 10:00 am - 5:00 pm

Sale Contacts
Francis Wahlgren
fwahlgren@christies.com
Thomas Lecky
tlecky@christies.com
Ian Ehling
iehling@christies.com
Melanie Halloran
mhalloran@christies.com
Tel: +1 212 636 2665
Fax: +1 212 636 4928

Bid Department
Tel: +1 212 636 2437
Fax: +1 212 636 4938

3 comments:

Parisa said...

Wow, Aly that account had my heart racing! I'm so bummed I won't be able to see it for myself next week :(... I'll be sure to channel my inner "american shakespeare" with me next week, i.e. bring a bean casserole and cookies to my final interview; that'll score a spot on the show for sure! hope everyone is having a great week, can't wait to see you all for our last session on friday!

Shakesearediva said...

Hi Parisa:
When do you leave for L.A.?!!!!
Good luck! And yes, bean casserole always wins. :)
We HAVE to come up with am Am Shakes catch-phrase for you to you use, that won't make you seem to odd or weird. 'Bean casserole" might be too strange to repeat a lot. :)
We will be thinking of you, and toast you in our last session on the 15th!
Cheers,
ASH

Adri said...

Wow, that sounds really really cool. I would have gone, but I had an Italian class at 11...sadness. perhaps next week when I have fewer classes I'll be able to see an auction or two.