Friday, March 14, 2008

Several Items

I thought I'd upload this article I read for an anthropology class last semester. It addresses the myth of the "universality" of Shakespeare, something that I certainly encountered in high school but was surprised to learn in some of our readings that said notion of thought has since been challenged and rather died out. Anyway, although the article itself is a bit dated (I think the author penned this in the 50's?) it is very interesting. As an English anthropologist studying the lives of the Bushmen of Africa, she attempts to explain the story of Hamlet to several elders and receives some very unexpected reactions. I've uploaded the article in .pdf format to Mediafire, if anyone's so inclined: http://www.mediafire.com/?wz1jf9bhdzj. Hopefully that works for you all.

Also, I thought I'd throw my two cents in regarding the little defamation scandal we experienced earlier in the week (which was quite amusing, actually). Here is a direct quote from the Shakespeare Fellowship website:

"The goals of the Fellowship include bringing the Shakespeare authorship debate to a world-wide audience via the Internet and stimulating a wide-ranging dialogue on the relevance of Shakespeare to the 21st century."

It is interesting then that apparently in order to take part in this "stimulating" discussion with members of the Fellowship, one must be a card-carrying member of the Oxfordian theory. Hmm!

No comments: