Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Give us some slack!

Sara, you said: "As far as making it more accessible to American audiences, I think he is insulting American culture by claiming we can't access it without his help."

You also have to realize that not everyone is as educated and well-versed in Shakespeare as you guys. I would like to consider myself an educated individual, but I have very little understanding or appreciation of Shakespeare. I have no where NEAR the understanding or appreciation that you guys have. That's why I'm taking this course.

Someone like me, who is obsessed with mainstream actors, can easier connect with a movie like this.

There is an audience for every kind of "mediator". Professor - would you consider this movie successful?

(P.S. No hard feelings Sara - just playing devil's advocate)

1 comment:

Shakesearediva said...

I am glad you brought this up, Bahar. I would for us to address this issue of "mediation" - in all its forms: printing, acting, teaching, etc. What are the pros and cons of "mediation"? Lamb and Coleridge felt very strongly that Shakespeare was best enjoyed directly and without, what they would call, any form of intrusion or mediation. Let's discuss this!