Thursday, February 14, 2008

An odd finding...


So, this doesn't really have to do with anything said in class thus far, but it certainly has to do with the interpretation of Shakespeare. A good friend of mine gave me a book last night that he said reminded him of me. The book was a collection of very short, narrative summaries/outlines of most of Shakespeare's dramatic works. None of them are more than 5/6 pages long.

I didn't really know what to make of this...I was obviously grateful that a friend went out of his way for me, but at the same time I found it a bit insulting that this author (Marchette Chute- I looked it up, an American author) thought that it was A) appropriate B) necessary and C) possible to sum up the craft of what has come to be the institution of Shakespeare in these little cliffnote style featurettes....it was just very bizarre. And I thought I would share in case anybody has any comments or insights.

Emily

1 comment:

Shakesearediva said...

Emily:

I think you are on to something here! Very worth exploring. Let's discuss this further!

ASH