Friday, April 04, 2008

The Christies Conflict

Last week's inappropriately heated discussion in the middle of the Christies viewing room left me with lingering thoughts about the ethics involved while dealing with such obscenely priced collectibles, specifically the Folio that sold for 6.5 million dollars in October 2001.
At first, I was really shocked and even upset at hearing this news. 6.5 million dollars for a book? Yes, it is an original and yes it essentially serves as a piece of art and not as much as a piece of literature-- so you aren't just paying an absurdly large amount of money for words that you could buy for $12.50, you are buying something special, something irreplaceable, and something that is obviously not priceless. This is what I expressed last week and Bertrum and I essentially teamed up to go up against the Shakespeare disciples who seemed to empathize with the tremendous purchase.
Over the week, I brought the subject up to several of my friends, one time with a friend of mine and his father, whose girlfriend actually just got a masters from Christies in England and is now working in the building we just visited. It was during this conversation that I realized I was being judgmental in a situations where is was not really my place. Some people in this world have unnaturally large amounts of money in their bank accounts. Some people give a lot of it to people who have far less than them, while the majority buy sports cars and other luxuries because...they can.
Everyday I am disgusted at the socioeconomic situation in this country, more specifically this city, that allows for people who have 6.5 million dollars to spend on an original Shakespeare to live literally right next to, but completely alienated from a family that cannot pay their rent in one of the cheapest neighborhoods in this city. I could never imagine spending 6.5 million dollars on a single item, and I hope that this sentiment remains if I ever become extremely successful. However, I could obviously never tell other people how to spend money that they or their family did earn at some point in time and I cannot quite empathize with the desire to obtain one of Shakespeare's First Folio.

I can, however, begin to empathize with this: http://most-expensive.net/guitar-in-world

How much do you think that will be worth in 150 years?

No comments: