Friday, April 04, 2008

On Christie's

I couldn't post my reaction to Christie's until now because I actually went to the Interiors Auction yesterday and bid on a few things. It was an experience. I'm now registered as a buyer at Christie's. I'm not sure what that makes me, but I suppose it's something.

My original intent was to go and bid on a pair of armchairs that were appraised at $200 a pop--which is cheaper than a similar, brand-spankin-new chair from Target, mind you. I was a little shell shocked when the bidding started at $800. I was shaking my head in disbelief when the chairs sold for $4,800. Over $6,000, with Christie's commission included. (lot 640) Now, THAT was silly. Five minutes previous, I'd seen a pair of table lamps go for a measly fifty bucks. What the hell, Christie's, what the hell?

If I had known that the object of my furniture fetish was going to go for so much, I might have actually challenged this old gentleman for a lovely butcher block worktable from the eighteenth century that would have looked great in my kitchen. Instead, I let him have it for $200 (lot 586). Such is life. Next time, next time....

But some good came out of my auctioneering extravaganza--I made friends with one of the receptionists! She informed me in whispers that there is a poorly attended, "rummage sale-esque" Interiors Auction (aka house cleaning) every August that features no reserves and over half the items go for fifty bucks or less. If any of you are in the market for some funky antiques or vintage furnishings, this is the mothership. It doesn't cost any money to register (you just need a photo ID and a check book) and sitting in the auction is also free. Any reason to use their restrooms again, right? :)

No comments: